To build an online presence, many businesses create a Business Profile on Google. However, if you want to manage and edit your profile for effective SEO or lead generation, only creating a Business Profile does not help. Here’s why a Google My Business account is the solution!
In this article:
Optimize Your Business Profile With Google My Business:
What is A Business Profile?
A Business Profile, in Google’s terms, is your Google Business listing. With this profile, your business can appear in Google Maps and the local results of Google Search.
To create a Business Profile, Google requires the business name, location, and category; and you’re good to go. Your newly created Business Profile is now open to consumers’ reviews, photos, questions, and answers.
Why Does Your Business Profile Need a GMB Account?
The point is, anyone – a random stranger or an automated listing generator – can all create a Business Profile (as long as Google confirms it is not a duplicate of another location), much like the way everyone can add a place to Google Maps. And whether you create your Business Profile or not, you can’t manage the information and reviews displayed on it.
That is why a Google My Business account matters. A Google My Business account helps business owners to:
- And Enhance their Business Profiles.
And the great thing is, all for free!
Can GMB Help My Local Marketing?
Google My Business makes your Business Profile a better local listing in three ways:
Because customers will interact with your Business Profile in several ways, use your Google My Business account to engage back with them by:
- Responding to Reviews
- Answering Questions
- Enabling Direct Messaging
- Setting Up Associated Notifications
- Publishing Posts (like Facebook and other social media platforms)
While a Business Profile alone provides limited information about your business, your Google My Business account can do much more by providing:
- Business Hours (open, close)
- A link to your Website, Products, and Pricing
- Attributes (black-owned, veteran-led, woman-led, etc.)
- Or details that make your business stand out from the rest
- Edits and updates as needed.
We’re living in the data-driven era. To say insights is important is an understatement. With Google My Business, you can gain key insights into your local search performance:
- The search queries customers are using to find your Business Profile
- Whether customers found you on Google Maps or Google Search
- An analysis of actions taken on your listing
- The performance of your photos compared to other profiles in the same category
Should You Use GMB to Boost Local SEO?
SEO is crucial for any business, especially small businesses that use local targeting to compete against large competitors. With a robust Business Profile and a Google My Business account, businesses can maximize their local market visibility.
Incorporate Relevant Keywords
You can signal to Google which categories your business is trying to rank for by adding relevant keywords to your Business Profile via Google My Business.
Incorporate those keywords in your “from the business” description, responses to reviews, answers to questions, and in the posts you publish. Remember to make them natural, just as you would with any other SEO strategy.
Rank High with Quality Information
An informative Business Profile will rank high and vice versa.
So make sure you provide the necessary information (contact info, special hours, attributes, etc.) in every section of your Google My Business dashboard.
The trust component of Google’s algorithm is also worth your attention.
- Keep updating your information and maintain its accuracy as your business evolves.
- Ensure a steady stream of reviews and responses.
- Signal your active status to Google by regularly uploading photos and publishing posts to your Business Profile through Google My Business.
Not sure how to adjust your Google My Business account during the current pandemic? Locl offers some great tips for your GMB management during COVID-19. Click here for more details!
Creating a Business Profile alone doesn’t make any difference in the online presence of your local business. With a Google My Business account, you will gain total control over your local listing and optimization strategies.