To support the growth of black-owned business communities, Google has recently added a new attribute – Black-owned Business – for Maps listings. Let’s learn how to add a black-owned business attribute to your Google Maps!
In this article:
- More Than Just a Local Listing
- Add and Edit Attributes to Your Maps Listings
- Add Black-Owned Business Attribute to Your Maps Listing
- Should I Add the Black-Owned Attribute?
How to Add the Black-Owned Business Attribute
More Than Just a Local Listing
A Business Profile on Google is more than just a local listing: it also gives businesses the freedom to be present on Google Maps and Search and interact with current and potential customers online.
- Phone Calls
- Requests for Direction
Add and Edit Attributes to Your Maps Listings
In Google My Business, you can opt-in to various attributes to let customers know details about your business. Options include:
- Outdoor seating
Attributes are display batches of Business Profiles on Google Search and Maps. After adding attributes, your business might have a chance to show up in search results when people scroll through places with those attributes on Google Search or Maps.
Add Black-Owned Business Attribute to Your Maps Listing
Google recently added Black-owned Business – a new attribute for Maps listings. This is an effort of the tech giant to support the growth of black-owned businesses as it “has noted a recent surge in online searches for black-owned businesses.”
How to add a black-owned business attribute to your Google Maps:
- Visit business.google.com and sign in with your verified Google My Business account. (Don’t have an account? Sign up for free)
- On your Google, My Business homepage, click ”Add Attributes” on the “Celebrating Black-owned businesses” box. (Or click “Info” in the left navigation)
- In the “Highlights” section → , click “Black-owned attribute → click “Apply”
- You will now show up as a black-owned business on Google Search.
How to add a black-owned business attribute to your Google Maps pro tip: Some attributes are only available in certain countries, regions, or specific categories of businesses. For example, you might see attribute options depending on different types of business:
- Acceptable Payment Types
- Accessibility Options
- LGBTQ-Friendly Businesses
Should I Add the Black-Owned Attribute?
The Black-owned business attributes help businesses:
- Proudly show your business is black-owned.
- Stand out on Google Search and Maps.
- Grow their local black-owned business communities.
Recent events have made the world reckon with the systemic and structural racism against the black community. With the black-owned business attribute, local businesses now have more leeway to grow and make meaningful contributions to their black-owned business communities online!
Need help? Watch Locl’s Quick Help tutorial on how to add a black-owned business attribute to your Google Maps. For additional support, visit Google My Business Help.
Locl helps with your online presence on Google My Business and Google Maps. Contact us today!